Saab 9-3 Aero Cabriolet. Formula fun 324.000.

Our Saab 9000, the Anna project, has a problem. The air conditioning compressor seems to leak, he has to go to the workshop. As always, the yard at Saab Service Frankfurt is full of vehicles waiting to be repaired. Additional customer vehicles park on the street in front of the site.

Driving pleasure with 324.000 kilometers. Saab 9-3 Aero Cabriolet

Demand seems to have reached a new high. From 9-5 NG to 900, 9-3 and old 9-5 to 9000 and 96, everything that Saab has ever produced has gathered here. I have brought a dose of patience. No problem! For the trip home I get a convertible.

A 9-3 Aero Cabriolet from the private collection of Gerard Ratzmann is waiting for me. The open Saab is a kind of rolling restoration for his personal pleasure - which, I suppose, will eventually be finished. What I see as a challenge in the order situation. The front bumper in Viggen design is newly assembled and unpainted. The fog lamps are still missing, but no matter. An Aero stands for fun, and a Saab convertible anyway.

The mileage: 324.000 ... Cars that have so much on the clock, are hardly appreciated in Germany, a glance. That's for sure. 200.000 is a lot, 300.000 stands for the end of the lifetime. A case for the diesel environmental bonus. Alright?

I start and roll from Frankfurt-Fechenheim in the direction of the motorway. The convertible twists happily to itself, but that was already in the Neuwagenzustand Sun. The antique Asin-Borg-Warner 4 steps automatic switches as usual. The interior has signs of wear. Clear. But none that would close on 324.000 kilometers. The Viggen seats are taut, the leather without cracks, the dashboard too. Some leather care plus color, and everything would be almost as new. The climate control display loses its pixels, but who cares?

This Saab is evil. A lot…

The Saab threads on the highway. Behind me an asthmatic SUV tries to simulate driving dynamics and chase the convertible off the track. Activate sports button? What for? The accelerator gently stroked, the turbo pushes boost pressure in the Södertälje engine. The open Saab dashes forward like a Viking ship in attack mode. The SUV dies somewhere in the rearview mirror. This Saab is evil. A lot.

205 PS? No way ! More. Much more. No idea how many. But 230 or 240 PS will be it already. Well retracted, or well optimized.

Flashback. When Trollhättan launched the B205R, it was the first 2.0 liter engine with more than 100 horsepower output from the factory. Durability at that time was a big topic in the trade press. How long does that last? More than 324.000 kilometers in any case, and much longer than the super-optimized small engines in today's vehicles will do.

The maintenance condition of the Cabriolet is great, which I would not have expected otherwise. The heart beats hard, and is very healthy. I like this car. It is classic Saab style. The small, curved windscreen, the intimate narrowness, the low roof. If you like the old 900, you'll love the kind of 900 II and 9-3 I as well. The successor was another very different thing.

Formula fun 324.000

You drive, you have fun and you get a good mood. The turbocharger shovels air, the engine hung avidly on the gas. You forgot the mileage after a while. 324.000? Also only a number. The scars on the sheet? A true fighter sustains the injuries of his life and with pride. I start liking the old Swede. He has my sympathy.

So he gets an article on the blog and a photo shoot. Uncoated, unwashed, not beautified. The way he is. Cool and authentic. Thanks to Frankfurt!

13 thoughts too "Saab 9-3 Aero Cabriolet. Formula fun 324.000."

• 19. October 2017 at 2: 17 PM

Hi Tom,
    again such a beautiful, wonderfully emotional contribution ....
    Since July I also drive a SAAB 9-3 Aero Convertible, I'm just thrilled with this car. Every now and then it's fun to start the engine and jet over the country roads. The hood does not do it, but no matter - repair potential for the next year :)

Regards
    Thomas

• 19. October 2017 at 4: 09 PM

Great! The old boxes have fun potential without end. You can feel it in the report!

• 19. October 2017 at 6: 14 PM

I agree! Class report

• 19. October 2017 at 5: 21 PM

Hi Tom,

We also have such a convertible - with the beautiful rear spoiler.

What I do not quite understand, however, is the remark: The convertible twists happily to himself, but that was already in the Neuwagenzustand Sun. Sure, there are slight sounds of noise on bumpy roads - but with 200 stuff, the car is completely stiff and firm on the highway and the mileage is well beyond 200.000.

Is it maybe because of the tires?

• 19. October 2017 at 9: 20 PM

We also drive one from the year 2000. An 9-3 SE limited edition special edition in black. He has just 130.000km on the clock. I think this car is so beautiful. I hope he stays with us for a very long time. He has the makings of a classic. For this he gets a good treatment in the SAAB service hall. However, our model has "only" 150PS. I have been thinking for some time whether I like the engine with Maptun or similar. make a little more steam. Can I do this to the engine? Does anyone have experience?

• 19. October 2017 at 9: 26 PM

Hello Tom, I can understand and understand every minute of your passionately described emotions. For me it's no different, but for me the Saab 9-3 II and especially the "stalked" cause exactly the same emotional outbursts. Something else can come!

• 19. October 2017 at 11: 12 PM

Exactly that is the case - have my open 9-3 I Aero from the last series with the Viggen Bodykit (EZ 3 / 2003) with 168Tkm again without defects by the TÜV! Runs great and still looks fantastic!
    Today again enjoyed the nice weather and brought to the winter quarters ...
    I can fully understand your feelings ... Just a cool car!

• 19. October 2017 at 11: 53 PM

"That's exactly how it works - have my open 9-3 I from the [last] last series with the Viggen Bodykit" (built 4 / 2003) last WE once again through the low mountain ranges moved .. wonderful emotional written, fits the Saab, also and especially on the incoming engine ..

It's the mix of perceived emotional, spontaneous articles like this, and background stories like the Trollhättan 2012 manager meeting that makes up this blog. And it is not so important for me, whether working daily or 2 times a month (extreme example!) New entries appear, it is this quality that makes him worth reading!

• 20. October 2017 at 11: 22 AM

I like these reports. Put on the rose glasses and then into the car. If it goes as described, the previous owner has invested a high 4 digit amount. If not, it will be the next owner. We have inverted 5 digit and the car then rewards with mint condition. But honestly. There is no stainless sabb unless it has been completely eliminated ubd a 2.0t engine with 300 tkm has been opened more than once. , who buys such a car has to put away a lot of money else he has in the future stress to keep the car alive. The 205 ps are nice but cost the insurance properly. I like saab ubd especially the fans with the pink glasses and the thick wallet. After all, one wants to sell his car at some point without loss

• 22. October 2017 at 4: 05 PM

Sorry, but that's really not true. My 2.0t had with 300tkm still no "aufgemachten" engine, unless the change of ZKD one counts already to the "engine open". First engine, first transmission, first chains and presumably the first turbo. Everything unobtrusive and larger investments were not in sight. And even if, at 300tkm may also quietly come one or the other times. The 9-3I was not yet such a qualitative crutch as its successors.

• 20. October 2017 at 3: 21 PM

hallo

Such timeless classics are unfortunately not built today!
    And yes, he likes to use the Ys3d.
    Even the coupe!
    Nevertheless, an oldagstauglicher car, whether convertible, coupe or sedan. I love these Saabs the 90er.
    They are elegant, not pretentious, yet fast and extremely reliable when the maintenance interval is met.
    That's why I drive my year round.
    Because on an old Saab is always reliable!
    And after 200.000, the engines are then retracted. =)

• 20. October 2017 at 8: 21 PM

Today was again Cabriowetter, ... ..when synonymous with the 2005er 9-3

• 21. October 2017 at 6: 21 PM

Nice report about my favorite Saab. I have the privilege of owning and driving the entire 9-3 I family. My favorite is the Aero Coupe with Maptun Stage 1 and Viggenbody. I find the 9-3 Coupe simply perfect, simple and beautiful. And still practical.