LED daytime running light for the Saab 9-3

A Saturday in September. IAA time - it is still early in the morning. Frankfurt is still far away from the usual hustle and bustle. A friend drives me past Saab Service Frankfurt, where I want to pick up a Saab 9-3 Vector sedan. Waiting for me is the first Saab equipped with the official LED daytime running light retrofit kit.

Saab 9-3 with LED daytime running lights

A few weeks ago ...

By phone, Orio Germany logs in with me. In Eschborn, the former Saab subsidiary plans the autumn campaign and thinks about an LED daytime running light retrofit kit. Based on the Hella LED daytime running lights of the model year 2014 one works on a retrofit kit with TÜV certificate and installation instructions. The test requires a Saab 9-3. No Griffin, because there would be no problem retrofitting, but a facelift Vector from model year 2008.

I immediately like the action. For one, I can not stand the daytime running light retrofit sets from the hardware stores. They almost never fit the design line and spoil older cars. On the other hand, any action that keeps the 9-3 up to date is welcome. Saab drivers are looking for accessories, they want to treat themselves and the cars a bit. But they rarely find anything.

Mark owns an 9-3 Vector sedan, which now has to serve as a test object. He spontaneously takes her from Leipzig to Frankfurt. Installation, documentation and TÜV appraisal will be carried out by Gerard Ratzmann. It's almost like the days when the Hessian branch of Saab Automobile AB worked. Only that the actors today are Orio Germany and Saab Service Frankfurt.

LED daytime running light for the Saab 9-3. Design from one piece.

Back to Frankfurt. It is early in the morning, and Saab Service Frankfurt is still closed. The keys for the 9-3 are otherwise deposited for pickup. We are curious what the daytime running light in Natura looks like.

Get the key, start Saab. Activate the parking light and the switch for the fog lights. The LED daytime running lights are lit. It looks like a one-off, fits the vehicle and the design line. Nicely done! The Saab is perceived as a current car as it rolls through the city towards the highway. Hard to believe what a small intervention can change.

In the afternoon we head east, the next day is the exit of the Saab friends Saxony in the calendar. The first participant of the tour, which I meet on Sunday, comes with a Turbo X. He likes the daytime running lights very well; I think he wants one. Test passed.

The question remains about the price. Heard, and this is not official, Mark and I have a course of just over 300,00 €. For a vehicle-specific, official Saab kit with TÜV certificate certainly appropriate.

30 thoughts too "LED daytime running light for the Saab 9-3"

• 1. November 2017 at 10: 36 AM

Hello Tom,
    class! every official retrofit option makes our saabs more beautiful! Saab drivers are not only car owners but small collectors ...
    is it already possible to buy the daytime running lights?
    lg from Lake Constance,
    alexander

• 1. November 2017 at 10: 53 AM

It will be for sale in the next few days. Orio goes online with the campaign this month!

• 1. November 2017 at 11: 04 AM

Is the retrofit kit also planned for the 9-5?
    Greetings Martin

• 1. November 2017 at 11: 32 AM

This is not known, I pass it on as a suggestion. The installation itself in a 9-5 from 2006 should be without problems.

• 1. November 2017 at 12: 40 PM

Top!!!

• 1. November 2017 at 12: 42 PM

Maybe there is also interest to bring a rear view camera for the 9-3 and 9-3 cabriolet on the market?

• 1. November 2017 at 1: 31 PM

Nice that there is such a solution for the 9-3. Tom is right, the solutions from the hardware store or other accessory stores are not necessarily frugal.
    Such thoughts I have made some time ago for my 2002 9-5 Aero station wagon. Also solutions from the internet did not satisfy me. Actually, it was all about, after my debacle with my xenons, to spare this, if they work properly again. Since we have to drive in Switzerland with light during the day and so come a few hours on the Brenner.
    Our Saab garage has the right solution. With a brief engagement with the Tech2 in the electronics of the car, the front fog lamps (H1) were activated with simultaneous switching off of the main light and turning on the v. Fog light. Even the light sign in the dashboard reveals the function of the "low beam". With slightly newer lamps, the visibility in traffic is just as good as with newer vehicles, just no LEDs. (Christmas is coming soon.)
    I like the fact that the Hallogenbirnen are cheap, I also have light at the rear, (forest and tunnel passages) and all other, normal functions are guaranteed.

Matthias

• 2. November 2017 at 6: 10 PM

As I understand it, the fog lamps are simply used as daytime running lights in this solution. Is this legally allowed ...?

• 1. November 2017 at 2: 16 PM

Great report, I have been looking for a long time a solution for my 9-3 convertible, Bj. 2007, would fit the kit?
    But I can also get something out of the solution from Matthias from Switzerland. The first choice would of course be the kit.
    Arnold

• 1. November 2017 at 2: 48 PM

If it's model year 2008, so made after the summer break 2007, then it would fit.

• 1. November 2017 at 11: 16 PM

What about the fog lamps, are they still available and in use or will they be replaced? Does the LED bar light up as it does on the back of the car?

I find suuper are always made so nice replicas for our Saabs

• 2. November 2017 at 9: 37 AM

The fog lamps are replaced by LEDs and are gone. The normal taillights are also activated on the LED daytime running lights.

• 2. November 2017 at 11: 21 AM

Good solution. The smartphone displaces anyway the Navi and so there are less cables. Thank you!

• 2. November 2017 at 6: 07 PM

Great thing, thanks for the report!
    Will the retrofit kit also be available in Switzerland, as was already the case with the great atmosphere lighting?
    Greetings from Zurich

• 3. November 2017 at 11: 53 AM

I assume. I have not heard the contrary so far.

• 3. November 2017 at 9: 10 PM

Since I am looking for a daylight solution for the 9³ this is probably a good idea.
    PS. In the original, the LEDs look even better than in the pictures

Greetings from Saxony

• 5. November 2017 at 12: 39 PM

A great idea - and it looks good!

Of course, it would be nice to have a corresponding set for the 9-3 II (up to 2007). Otherwise, the self-built alternative solution, which fortunately is easy to retrofit, must last even longer:
    Let's see what happens. Have you ever heard of Saab enthusiasts getting an update solution from Orio?

Regards,
    Flo

• 6. November 2017 at 10: 45 AM

What speaks against your solution? I think much more meaningful than that of Orio. In your case, even the fog lights work if I see it correctly. What offers Orio there is no TFL, at least in the text it reads like the exchange of H1 lamps against (multiple) LED. For 300 €? That's what you call money making.
      Besides, I would be interested in the legal side. In D you can not drive so easily with NSW through the area and standard TFL lights not the reversing lights. So what is the retrofit kit then? NSW or TFL. Since I'm already looking forward to the discussions with the race director who wants to dribble a Ordnuingswidrigkeit for driving with NSW in fine weather. There is no TÜV certificate ...

• 6. November 2017 at 12: 18 PM

Daniel, I think you're wrong. There are many vehicles in which the TFL are placed as standard in the secondary lights. In addition, more and more vehicles are on the market, in which the tail lights shine as standard also when the TFL is turned on (which, incidentally, also makes sense). From the legal side, there should be no problems there.

• 7. November 2017 at 9: 32 AM

Factory TFL with rear lights is not allowed in D, the TÜV can deny you because even the plaque. You can reprogramme that but it's not legal. But do not change with the "Schwedenschaltung" as you know them at Saab. TFL at the NSW is not the problem, but it was either-or. This is mW after for vehicles that do not have the case (Volvo for example).

• 6. November 2017 at 6: 20 PM

What is the added value of this TFL kit? Is it just a matter of making the burners last longer by relieving the xenon headlights? Then I prefer to keep the function of the fog lights and put the money back for the TFL for 2-3 set new xenon burner ... The problem with general traffic controls with the confusion TFL fog lights (see Daniel above), I see synonymous.

• 6. November 2017 at 6: 25 PM

PS: In many vehicles, the fog lights are at the same time also part of the cornering light, such as the old E-Class W211. Such a solution would have been more interesting in my opinion, if after installation of a module, after setting the turn signal, the respective fog lights would be controlled.

• 6. November 2017 at 7: 30 PM

I agree. But: The possibilities with Orio are limited. In Trollhättan, unfortunately, there is no more automaker that would conjure up these things for us. Even though I do not think programming is so complicated.

• 6. November 2017 at 7: 28 PM

It's not just about conserving xenon burners, which makes sense. It's also a conversion kit on 2014er optics and, you just have to see it, something that can be fun as well. Especially because the Saab then has a more modern look.

Not everything has to be grounded by reason. Life is much too short for that.

• 6. November 2017 at 10: 24 PM

That looks really good.
    Too bad that most update sets from ORIO are tuned to 9-3.
    For drivers of 9-5 I would finally wish something!

• 8. November 2017 at 5: 39 PM

Hello, there is about the self-built solution more detailed information. I think it's beautiful and would like to realize this on my 9.3 Convertible Bj. 2004.

• 8. November 2017 at 8: 20 PM

The action of the Orio starts this month!

• 9. November 2017 at 9: 00 AM

Hello Erwin,

for homemade solution there are the advantages and disadvantages listed here on the page below:

The really huge advantage of the Orio solution is that the kit comes with TÜV certification, as Tom writes. This makes it the only fully-integrated, vehicle-specific LED TFL retrofit solution for the 9-3 that's legal. And then 300 € are completely ok, considering that a photometric certificate for admission costs 15t €.

If that were the case for the 9-3 II, I would buy it immediately.

LG, Flo