An ozone treatment for Paul

Mark is often asked what has become of Paul, our project Saab. He was allowed to spend the winter in the hangar, but now it's time to say goodbye. Previously, there are still some open construction sites that need to be done. Because Paul, whose proceeds will go to a charitable purpose, should leave us in as good a condition as possible.

Before the ozone treatment: Thorough cleaning is mandatory!
Before the ozone treatment: Thorough cleaning is mandatory!

What can bother with a car that stood 10 years outdoors, are the scents in the interior. Paul does not smell really good. He exudes a peculiar mixture of old car and something, and every effort to banish the fragrance has failed so far. We have tried almost everything: A professional interior cleaning, and also a cleaning in-house. From carpet foams to clean leather was the full range of possibilities. The effect: zero.

Coffee in the interior? Does not help. There was only one of those legendary, notorious scented trees that I do not like. In an older yacht magazine I found an article about ozone treatment. In the Yachtszene quite common, after the winter break a topic, and used with success.

Ozone appliances were very expensive years ago, but have become affordable. China is democratizing the price of electronics, and a device for use in the car costs from 120,00 €. The lifetime of the ceramic plates is 5.000 to 10.000 hours, so time for an experiment. Because the treatment at the preparer also costs 100,00 €, and I suspect that it will not stay with a passage.

Ozone generator. Best set up at the highest point.
Ozone generator. Best set up at the highest point.

A low-priced device is ordered through a well-known portal, and before it arrives, Paul is once again thoroughly cleaned and vacuumed. And then it is time. Place the unit at a high point in the car's interior because the ozone is sinking. I choose the parcel shelf, close the doors, seal the supply cord of the power cord at the window with cloths and let the device run for 2 hours.

Important: During the treatment no living being may be inside. Ozone is an irritant that is not friendly to the respiratory system and the eyes. Useful for our purpose is because it splits and eliminates molecules that create odors. There is also a warning to use ozone generators in smoker vehicles, but Paul is a non-smoking car.

Two hours later, everything is over. Paul is venting well for a long time, and I'm looking forward to the result. My first impression: better, but not good. Paul's smells are stubborn, and relevant literature advises repeated, prolonged treatment. This is followed by a second ozone therapy overnight. After 16 hours, the unit is disconnected from the mains, the Saab vented.

The result is good. Paul does not smell anymore, or rather, he gives himself neutral. Even with a hint of the previous scents nothing is noticeable. Perfect! Does that stop? A good question. We will see what the next weeks will bring.

Paul after the ozone treatment.
Paul after the ozone treatment.

What's next? Next, the driver's seat has to become a saddler. A little thing that needs to be sewn so that we have the 9-5 in the state we want. Then it goes Frankfurt to work on more things. At the latest in the autumn, with fresh TÜV and AU, we should then leave the station wagon.

Paul was actually a very good idea. Rebuilding an old, neglected Saab, writing about it, driving it as a project car and finally selling it was something that could have given the brand more life. A statement for sustainability, for Swedish cars, and for a functioning spare parts supply. But it will stay with this one action. We have neither the time, nor the budget to start a new project. After more than 7 years of dedicated blog and a big pack of love for the brand, we've arrived in reality.

9 thoughts too "An ozone treatment for Paul"

• 28. May 2018 at 2: 12 PM

Hello, drive also a Paul (the name like).
    With my I was lucky with smell.
    But I had to weld the rear wheel arches for rust holes.
    Year of construction 2002 and no rust, I had him cheap before 2 years with a new replacement engine.
    Good luck for your Paul.
    Greetings Klaus

• 29. May 2018 at 9: 07 AM

Paul has luck in terms of rust. Something on the surface where the paint was missing. Otherwise very little, a really good substance. A sign of good quality in old Swedish steel!

• 28. May 2018 at 2: 16 PM

Brilliant, Paul is alive! I think the project is great! Too bad that there will be no Paul II. Is probably the sad reality we have to face.

• 28. May 2018 at 6: 23 PM

My friend Werkstattmeister also advised me to "ozone therapy" in my current vehicle.
    And lo and behold, it has worked sustainably (!). 🙂 The smells have not been an issue for nearly 2 years.
    PAUL was / is a brilliant idea! 🙂 Good that he is passed on for "a good cause"!
    This is impressive, and speaks for the blog u. his supporters in the background !!!

• 28. May 2018 at 9: 40 PM

Paul has become really chic! The rims are extremely good for the car! The many work was worthwhile. Too bad that there will be no new project car.
    The main thing with the blog is next ... !!!

• 29. May 2018 at 8: 50 AM

A great project and successful, I think. With Paul you have repeatedly shown what an old SAAB can be or become again and how it works. For example, just with ozone.

Successful too, because the challenge was high. In other words, Paul was a maximum of flowery. A slouchy everyday SAAB, too young for a classic and too old and used up to make a heartache. A car that seemed to be blocking both ways. The back in the everyday life and to a lover vehicle. Apparently. Because now he is doing well! The proof that you can make something out of every SAAB has worked perfectly.

I have always understood the project as an example and to animate others. It does not surprise me that it will not be repeated. A successful degree is just a degree. And is not every SAAB now a small or larger project? In that sense, the bloggers have enough others.

Chic Paul will hopefully find a good home. Long may the Adonis live!

• 29. May 2018 at 7: 39 PM

I already wondered what Paul is doing. The 95 station wagon is simply timelessly beautiful (of course I have to write, I'm driving the third one), and the wheels are the icing on the cake. Let's see what you have come up with for his "departure".

• 30. May 2018 at 5: 22 AM

My Saab Center has been offering ozone treatments for several years, I could have arranged contact, then buying equipment would not have been necessary ... Good luck!

• 30. May 2018 at 9: 09 AM

I do not understand this comment. The reason for the purchase is plausibly stated in the article ...

Why should you spend about ONE ozone treatment about as much as your own device and any number of ozone treatments on Paul or other cars?

Where is the difference between this device purchase and that of torque wrenches, battery chargers, vacuum cleaners, polishing machines or any other tools and equipment that most of us have in the basement, garage or workroom?

Yes, of course, you can always do everything. But that's 1. neither financially nor temporally always meaningful. Why take a car away and pick it up when the job gets done faster, more conveniently and cheaper on your own farm? And 2. It's also fun to do something yourself ...