Update: 13: 50 clock
The man behind “National Electric Vehicle Sweden” is Kai Johan Jiang. He is the designated CEO of the electric car consortium. TTELA examined the ownership structure and found that it should also be the main shareholder of the consortium. It owns 51% through National Energy Holding, with the remaining 49% owned by Sun Invest, a Japanese venture capital firm.
Kai Johan Jiang, of whom we know that he was born 1965 and owns a Swedish passport, has worked for the Volvo Group from 1993 to 2000 and has since been active in the field of renewable energy and has been very successful. As a foreign Chinese, he can not act directly as a majority shareholder in China, he controls his companies through companies based in Hong Kong and the Virgin Islands.
What brings him an independence from the mammoth authority NDRC, as the TTELA states. For his successes several times awardedHe wants to buy his own car manufacturer now.
In China, he runs the State Power Group, known as Dragon Power, and, more interestingly, Prudent Energy. Prudent Energy manufactures batteries that are particularly suitable for use in automobiles. In Sweden he operates the biofuel producer NBE Sweden AB.
As far as the facts. What does Kai Johan Jiang want? Packing batteries in a car and putting it on the street is in our case no art. The Saab e-power concept stands and could go into production with some modifications. A press shop, a paint shop and an assembly line. That's it. But is that enough?
There is a Saab 9-5 BioPower in my parking lot. The argument to buy - and it was the most important thing - was the Saab BioPower concept. A Saab technology that, after Turbo, was finally something new. The Saab Trionic is the best concept on the market. A piece of the future and a bridge technology away from fossil energies. I like the BioPower Saab, see the concept as meaningful and like to accept disadvantages such as a thin gas station network and smaller detours. Had the company in Trollhättan not stopped production, my wife's 9-3 would also have become a BioPower. Saab can be turbo. But doesn't have to be turbo. Saab can also be a battery.
But not only. If already Saab 2.0 with a new, fresh and green thinking, then please also Saab Hybrid, Saab BioPower and please at least a little bit turbo. Because now we come to the problem. Saab is a special offer, and by splitting the corporation into several packages, the administrators have not thought of a good idea to the end. What the investor cleverly uses. Kai Johan Jiang does not need a Power Train department and no Saab Parts AB. He wants, it seems, only to build electric cars.
He also does not need many other things, and Trollhättan's still existing Saab competence, backed by state aid for the location, will not interest him. It can not, because where are the financial muscle to come from, to build a full-range provider. The current constellation looks like small, very manageable quantities. Tesla from Sweden sends greetings.
Are there only two possibilities. Plan A or B. An industrial investor like Mahindra, or as a second choice Youngman, takes over Saab and uses existing technology. According to Mahindra, it does not look right now, and Youngman is silent on the sources. The administrators have strengthened the firewalls, and there is ghostly silence.
Plan B provides for the acquisition by NEVS. A break in Saab history, and if the facts stay as they are then nothing would be the same. For many of us that would not be enough. I'm not just talking about the community, but about the Saab world. It would be a real break!
Lennart Stahl, the CEO of Saab Parts AB in Nyköping, was asked yesterday by TT about the upcoming sale. “We will see what the sale brings. We are prepared for both variants, ”said Stahl. Not just him.
The brand should live on - jobs will be created in Trollhättan. Green energy yes. Electric car yes. Future yes please. But please not only future in the smallest niche.
Update: Fittingly and without agreement, our Saabsunited friends wrote an article about Sanfumi Sammy Shoji. He is the man behind Sun Investment.