Saab 900 II. Sweden Promo 1993.

Before 24 years, the world was fine with Saab. Almost at least! After all, it was the time of hope and pride. A completely redeveloped Saab 900 II rolled off the tracks, ambitions were high.

Saab 900 II V6. Image: Saab Automobile AB

Saab 900 II. A V6 engine should ensure reputation.

The genesis of the 900 II, the challenges, backgrounds and the little dramas, they were exciting. For weeks I have been writing a multi-divisor, which revives the situation at that time. Some time will pass before the series is ready.

As a small teaser drives today a new Saab 900 II through Sweden. In the green color of the press and first delivery vehicles - and of course with a V6 under the hood. From the first 6 cylinder in a compact Saab, the Swedes promised a lot of renown. And in fact, he was initially sold well, and Saab conquered a new clientele. Traditional customers ignored the strong and pleasant engine with English roots. They preferred to continue to use the turbo, which provided with 185 PS for proper acceleration.

Unfortunately, quality issues very quickly caught up with big plans. Saab urgently needed to improve, and the 900 II matured in the hands of customers. He became a really good car in the course of his construction, but then the call was already considerably battered.

The film comes from the extensive fund of Saab Germany. It was released in September 1993, is about 3 minutes long and pure relaxation. He leads us through typical Swedish landscapes. Where filmed was unfortunately not documented. It is striking how timeless a Saab 900 II is. He continues the classic line and was the last big hit with the traditional hatchback. He deserves more attention from the fan base than he currently gets.

Of course, we continue to digitize. Saab story must be preserved and stay alive. It's exciting to see how the brand ticked before 20 or 30 years, and what kind of luxury Saab Germany could afford. That we can relive this time, we owe Saab Service Frankfurt. Gerard Ratzmann kept the time records, we can digitize them for our readers.

17 thoughts too "Saab 900 II. Sweden Promo 1993."

• 21. June 2017 at 11: 39 AM

That's exactly what my first Saab looked like. I never had quality problems with this vehicle. Unfortunately, the engine did not meet my expectations, it was quite rough for a six-cylinder. Good 20 years later - the 2,8 l in 9-3 was a dream. Packed by the Saab fever, however, convinced me the four-cylinder in the first 9-5, with deer tuning and 230 PS, which followed on the 900. Unfortunately GM's entry was the beginning of the end.

• 21. June 2017 at 12: 03 PM

Very nice! Thank you! No doubt this was shot on the Swedish west coast, not far from Trollhättan. Maybe on Orust / Tjörn.

In one point I would like to contradict you, Tom, but: The 9-3 I was / has been successful as a hatchback!

I'm looking forward to the sequels

• 21. June 2017 at 12: 24 PM

900 II and 9-3 I are in my opinion a draft. The design has been changed only slightly and is slightly cleaner on the 9-3 I. I really like the 9-3 I, I'm a fan of the series!

• 21. June 2017 at 12: 21 PM

... even if many do not like the 900II very much ... I always liked it visually and still do it today.

He just came out about my passed driving license and of course would have been a (priceless and unrealistic) dream of mine at that time. The little dealer here on site had some nice standing in the yard.

Instead, I had to "but" first with an age-old "jerky" 3'er BMW with automatic grandfather (with "senior taxi-duty") and then rumdüsen with a Fiesta with 46PS and continuously variable automatic.
    Well, as a youngster and student / student, one is happy about every car ... there it did not necessarily have to be a Saab (yet).

• 21. June 2017 at 7: 58 PM

Hello Tom, I'm really looking forward to your series.
    After the nice movie, I also played mine again today,
    was fun

• 21. June 2017 at 8: 30 PM

Thanks for this movie. The place where the 900 passes at the end can only be Fjaellbacka. There I was before 1 week even after the Trollhaettan meeting.

• 21. June 2017 at 9: 07 PM

"He deserves more attention from the fan base than he currently gets."

Of course, I'm not as close to DER SAAB blog as that, but that's where I read with ...
    And I have the impression that the fan base the importance of 900 II and 9-3 I - so of SAABs last hatchback - quasi estimated daily a bit higher than the day before.

The car seems to me on the right track!

• 21. June 2017 at 9: 31 PM

Very nice movie. The end is probably in Fjällbacka, northwest of THN, the rest could also be in the area.

• 22. June 2017 at 11: 12 AM

Thanks for the hint!

• 21. June 2017 at 11: 12 PM

Thanks also from my side.
    The 900 II or the 9-3 are also intense memories in my life. I was fortunate to be able to call both planes my own. Technically, they were not convincing, but the emotions have remained to this day. In particular, the mature form of the 9-3 (last run of the first series) I find beautiful. Anyone can tell what he wants, that's just a great chassis. Einar Hareide has done a great job here.
    I am also looking forward to the sequel.
    Thanks in advance and a nice weekend.

• 22. June 2017 at 12: 16 AM

Very nice movie, thanks Tom!
    My "Everyday Car" 902 (MY96, Le Mans-blue, 299tkm) received a lot of attention today, and for the first time assembled new as-new elk shovels: a real dream of a timeless car.
    The whole thing was planned for a long time, your movie this morning was an appetizer and confirmation at the same time ..!
    In addition, I agree: 902 and 931 are visually a litter, the 931 a bit more modern (especially with Viggen trim), the 902 in the long run timeless beautiful, and I have them both.
    I am looking forward to your multi-part !!!

• 22. June 2017 at 12: 35 AM

And one more thing: At minute 1: 28, 1: 37 and 2: 27 the right headlight wiper hangs slightly obliquely ...
      So it is not a faulty Bosch engine! It is standard quirkiness with which Saab has advertised openly ... Thanks for that!

• 22. June 2017 at 8: 00 AM

My car, my color! For every day of the week. In October, he becomes 24 and drives us reliably and without major problems. With automatic, air conditioning, heated seats etc. pp. - foreign passengers are regularly impressed by the price-performance equipment ratio ... we built a gas system before 3 years ago - works perfectly.
    As you may notice: I love him!

• 23. June 2017 at 3: 02 PM

I do not know but the 902 always seems to me like a prototype of the 9-3I. Visually a catastrophe and barbarism hardly to be outdone. Only through the redesign of the sills, bumpers and the tailgate of the 9-3I SE, the model has finally become really nice. I already drove in from Saab, I would not have had the 902 for free. But fortunately, tastes are different and I do not have to quarrel with the 902 owners for good 901, 9000 and other offerings

• 24. June 2017 at 8: 48 AM

Will now separate me from my 902 to 20 years. It was a comfortable family vehicle with great seats and a trunk whose size you would not expect from the outside. I found the shape timelessly beautiful, would definitely buy a modified vehicle again in this design. However, the 902 has a sloppy or cheap processing in some areas. A few years ago I had a Saab sports suit, had the feeling that the use of cheap plastic there was sometimes even increased, which just did not match the pricing compared to local high-price vehicles. But somehow you did not take these weak points Saab somehow not angry, counted me too .. However, I felt as the biggest weakness in the Saab world, the sales and contract workshops just in the Bonn-Cologne area. Test drives with vehicles with desired engines were partially not possible because the corresponding Saabs were not available and even in the "near future" such a dealer will not come in ... or the car is only available for the showroom ...
    With the services of these workshops, I was anything but satisfied, was happy to have a small workshop in my environment, whose owners knew very well with Saabs. Regardless of failed attempts to disable the passenger airbag, there was a recall in a recall because of problems in the steering ever hint, that you have long term no date free, if no other services such as an inspection would like to take ... Now it goes to a vehicle, at Spare parts supply has never been a problem, no matter how old the vehicles were or will be.
    Conclusion to the 902: Everything has its time

• 25. June 2017 at 11: 10 PM

The biggest weakness I share: the authorized repair shops .. Now I would have always thought that the Cologne-Bonn area would be well supplied, but at least further in the province, the problem of authorized repairers is sometimes blatantly longer: Opel dealers who (and only it may have been like that) under the threat of violence Saab was forced. Inability to move an 902 (after 7-times stalling I was allowed to drive it on stage), 20 min with last 3 man, to switch alone the kinked antenna (self-experiment with brother, no 10min), etc .. pp., Me was also at a free, pure Saab workshop for a long time when Saab ceased operations.

And here is the main problem: I think it's great that the spare parts supply is better organized today than it was before 10 years ago, thank ORIO, even the season's actions fit, alone, the next known ORIO partner, who was not forced is far away. From the blog I know Kiel, Frankfurt, Bamberg, personally Dortmund, everything is great, furthermore Heuschmid should be an address, but for me all mentioned are too far for the service.

It remains the free Saab specialist who knows someone who in turn knows someone who can source parts from ORIO. As much as I appreciate Tom and his support for ORIO, for me the local ORIO partner is the surest way to put my Saabs into recovery.

"Everything has its time", and twenty years with one and the same "family car" are very proud these days! I wish a lot of fun with the (assumed) Zuffenhausen ...

• 26. June 2017 at 10: 18 AM

Over the years it will become increasingly difficult to maintain a good workshop network. It is important that we support the workshops that deliver good work. I would imagine that Community recommendation reports would be very helpful.